USB C-Type Cord Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macappleguy8, Jul 14, 2015.

1. macappleguy8, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

macappleguy8 macrumors member

I've had the new Macbook since it came out. But just this week I've noticed that the cord is already failing. And I've been very careful with it the whole time. It looks like I will probably soon have to break down and get another. But seriously, this chord sucks. I don't want to spend money for a replacement so soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since it's still under warranty, I should be able to go to any Apple store and have them give a replacement. No?

EDIT: changed "chord" to "cord"

2. facrat macrumors member

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Speak to Apple for a replacement chord.

Q-6

4. timw04 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. The chord on the outside looked pristine but I think I may have bent it internally as I always have my cable hang in a u-turn shape as my wall plug is on the right of my laptop.

I took it to the Apple Store and they gave me a new cable. Pretty odd as I've bent iPhone cables way more and they're still working after 2+ years.

5. macappleguy8, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

macappleguy8 thread starter macrumors member

Moving the cord now sometimes affects the connection, i.e. no charge from the cord. It just started doing this. I first noticed it when I connected the cord to my Macbook and the "connected chime" chimed multiple times. Moving the chord around fixes it, but yeah ... it's a sign the cord is failing. Must've been bent or something.

Yeah. That's what I'll probably end up doing. I'll go this weekend to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement cord and charger, just to be on the safe side.

EDIT: changed "chord" to "cord"

6. bunmango macrumors newbie

I started having this problem this morning and made an appointment at the Genius bar for this afternoon - will see what they have to say...

7. facrat macrumors member

Yeah, seems a pretty straightforward case for a replacement, assuming the socket itself isn't failing, let us know how you get on.

Also nitpick: it's "cord", not "chord", although "cable" is better here ;)

8. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

9. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

It's all good. Apple will be happy to quickly exchange it for a new one.

10. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Had a similar issue but it turned out to be the power adapter. Apple Store replaced it, no charge.

11. Dayv macrumors 6502

The only issue with my cable is that a dog bit it and now I'm just waiting for it to fail. ;)

12. bunmango macrumors newbie

just following up on this - I had mistakenly made an appt for Wednesday and not Tuesday (doh!) so when I showed up, it was going to be a 2 hour wait for standby... so I just ended up buying a replacement cable and making another appointment at a closer store for today.

I brought both cables in, the guy I worked with tested it with his own cable/charger as well. Funny thing is that they didn't have any replacements in stock to give me, so what we ended up doing was returning the extra cable that I bought, but substituted it with the bad cable that originally came w/ my MacBook.

Hope it doesn't end up being a trend though - my computer's only about 6 weeks old...