USB C-Type question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by philstone, Apr 14, 2015.

1. philstone macrumors 6502

Sorry if I've missed it, but is it possible to have the rMB on charge and have a USB device connected? I know that the USB C adapter is available but will it allow charging as well? Essentially, with any spare accessories, can I have the laptop on my desk, charging and still connected to another USB hub?

Cheers

2. DennisD7 macrumors member

Short answer: Yes.
    The two Multiport Adapters from Apple allow charging while connecting a USB device, and I'm sure we'll see more practical docks popping up soon.

3. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, so I'd connect the charger to the adapter?

4. keviig macrumors 6502

5. legioxi macrumors 6502a

6. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

7. newellj macrumors 603

For what it's worth, the adapter mentioned above currently shows availability 2-4 weeks out. :rolleyes: C'mon, Apple...

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Luckily I ordered it when it was 1-2 weeks shipping... but still that's a long time. I was able to get my Macbook yesterday at BBY, so I went into the Apple store, and fortunately they had the USB C to USB A adaptors, so at least I could plug in my time machine drive and restore my backup, otherwise I'm not sure what I was going to do. When the dongle comes in that does the charge + usb (and the unnecessary HDMI), I'll be all set, that'll be the only adaptor I need.

9. keviig macrumors 6502

I ordered the multiport adapter a few days ago and it estimates 4-6 weeks + shipping to Norway...

10. s54 macrumors regular

Question:

On either the AV or VGA multiport adapter, will the MacBook charge itself through the standard USB port only?

Along the same lines, will the MacBook charge itself through the USB-C to USB adapter?

11. keviig macrumors 6502

You plug the charger into the USB C port on the adapter to charge the Macbook. The standard USB port on the adapter will work like any other standard USB port.

12. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The mac charges from a USB-C cable. You plug the cable directly into the mac. If you use the USB-C to USB-A adaptor, you have nothing to plug in to charge with (because the computer charges via USB-C). So if you have the AV adaptor, you plug the adaptor in, then charge by plugging the charger into the USB-C port on the adaptor, then you can simultaneously use the USB-A to run a external hard drive or anything else.

13. newellj macrumors 603

Did the same and bought a $pare charging adapter and cord $et as well.

Curious whether a USB 3 powered hub will work on the dongles? We'll see, haven't tried - hubs can be finicky.

14. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Should if it's powered, and depending on what you're plugging into it. Give er a whirl and let us know. Curious what all you plug into it.

My old setup was an Air, and with its 2 ports, I always had the one usb monopolized by my logitech anywhere mouse dongle, which I replaced with a apple bluetooth mouse, and the other port I'd use to charge my phone. Occasionally (like once a month) I'd sync with an external hard drive, but now I've moved that sync to my time capsule. Once in a while a hotel I stay at would have ethernet so I'd use the ethernet, but then I got tired of cords holding me to the wall so in my travel bag I now use the old airport express brick for those situations, so literally the only thing I plug in is an iPhone to charge.

15. newellj macrumors 603

I have a massive library of digital photos going way back. Add the movies, music, etc. and my media library is immense, so that's one external drive.

The other is a Time Machine backup disk. I keep them separate so I have a backup of my media drive on the TM backup in addition to the OS disk in the Mac.

The third use is an iTunes sync cable. I still sync and backup my iDevices on a cable, probably the only person who does.

Fourth, until I stopped shooting Nikon DSLRs a little while back, I needed a card reader because no laptop has a CF card reader. The rMBP has an SD card reader, but the rMB doesn't, so that's a fourth use for a USB A (or, someday when I've replaced all my externals, a USB C) connection.

Mice and external keyboards (when used) are strictly BlueTooth for me.

About a month ago I experimented connecting the two drives to my rMBP via a powered USB 3 hub. It worked great - for a while. Then, for some reason I couldn't figure out, the TM disk got sightly out of phase with the media drive and the OS drive. I got it straightened out, but haven't figured out why, and having a TM disk messed up is a really unappealing idea. :(

16. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

But all of those, they should only be plugged in on a very occasional basis, not all at once, right? How often do you use your "immense" photo library? Daily? And time machine backup most people don't always have plugged in on a laptop

17. s54 macrumors regular

Hmm, sorry my question wasn't clear enough.

What I specifically wanted to know is if the MacBook would charge through the USB port on any of the USB-C adapters.

I realize the MacBook will charge itself through the USB-C port on those adapters. However, given how new USB-C is, I would still like the option to charge the MacBook from one of my portable external battery chargers (Anker, Jackery, etc.), all of which obviously use standard USB ports.

Hence why I asked if, for example, this new MacBook would charge itself directly from a portable charger with the USB-C to USB adapter. Or, indirectly, through one of the multiport USB-C adapters via the standard USB port.

Does this make sense?

18. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Hmm, not sure. I am not sure if the USB A out will also translate to a charge-in mechanism. I'm inclined to say no, but who knows. Most power bricks use usb > micro-usb to charge the brick, then a separate port to charge the device. Not sure I'd want to try plugging it into the macbook for fear of damage.

19. Rigby macrumors 601

Doesn't look like it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360
    "You can connect USB hubs and devices to the USB-C adapters as described in their sections above.

USB hubs and other USB devices that supply power won't charge your MacBook. Use the supplied USB-C Charge Cable and 29W USB-C Power Adapter to charge your MacBook."

20. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

But the Apple AV\VGA adaptor\dongle\hub does allow for charging through the USB-C port on the dongle\adaptor\hub.

21. newellj macrumors 603

True, but because I want the media drive backed up on the TM drive, several times a week I connect both drives to the rMBP and do a manual TM backup. (I do TM backups manually rather than letting it go automatically on a schedule.)

The media drive gets hooked up a lot because it's got everything (music, video and photos) on it and also has the mobile apps for my iDevices.

So with that approach, several times a week I would want both connected *if* the rMB were a primary computer. I think the bottom line is probably going to be that I keep using the rMBP as my primary laptop and don't feel any need to have the media stuff usable on the rMB. That would mean only using one external drive at a time which is easily managed.

Put differently, the way I manage my rMBP doesn't work on the rMB, but I don't really care if it does. The rMB will likely work perfectly as is for what I want *it* to do.

----------

I think you're both right. Charge through the multi-port dongle but only through the USB-C connection on it. Can't charge through the simple USB C to USB A dongle.