Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So Marques Brown Lee just did a first impressions video of the One+ 2. He mentions that the One+ 2 takes about 3hrs to charge with USB C. So if USB C means not having Quick Charge 2.0, then I'll stick with Micro USB for now. As much as I'd love the faster transfer speeds, I'll take quicker charging first. Anyone know if USB C is indeed not compatible with Quick Charge 2.0?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What exactly is the big fuss with USB c?
Like lightning port it's omnidirectional and in theory could lead to some third party accessories but at moment it's just 'the latest' so therefore it has to be better mentality.

It's nice to have, is it something any person is really going to make a purchasing decision based upon it? NO.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Got it.

Quick charging has saved me a bunch of times. I pick that over USB c too.

Reactions: MRU

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
USB-C is irrelevant to me since I hardly use wired but instead use 802.11ac WIFI for data transfer. The big negative with USB-C is you throw out your existing micro USB wall and car chargers. I'd take wireless charging over USB-C.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If it's not charging fast via usb-c, that's a design choice of that particular product, not a limitation of the spec. My rMB charges nearly 80% in 1hr. via usb-c and that's only at 29w. The usb-c spec allows for up to 100w vs. a maximum of 60w for quick charge 2.0. The latter was driven by the limitations of the old micro-usb spec, which was limited to 9w.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Your laptop and smartphone sharing the same port could be huge. Does this mean that a USB-C to HDMI adaptor could work with both a smartphone and laptop? That would certainly be a huge convenience.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Your laptop and smartphone sharing the same port could be huge. Does this mean that a USB-C to HDMI adaptor could work with both a smartphone and laptop? That would certainly be a huge convenience.
It will be a huge convenience. Imagine if the laptop had more than one USB C port and you could charge your phone awhile your laptop was charging too. Even better if your laptop had a wireless charging chip in it and you could have your laptop plugged in charging and your phone charging wirelessly both at the same time!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It will be a huge convenience. Imagine if the laptop had more than one USB C port and you could charge your phone awhile your laptop was charging too. Even better if your laptop had a wireless charging chip in it and you could have your laptop plugged in charging and your phone charging wirelessly both at the same time!
I don't see the link. If you are trying to make a thinly veiled jab at the Macbook having only 1 USB-C port, or Apple not supporting wireless charging at the moment, you are doing a very poor job of it, and choosing a very bad platform to try and pick a fight.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't see the link. If you are trying to make a thinly veiled jab at the Macbook having only 1 USB-C port, or Apple not supporting wireless charging at the moment, you are doing a very poor job of it, and choosing a very bad platform to try and pick a fight.
Defensive much? I didn't bring the Macbook into this conversation....you did.
If your smartphone and laptop have the same charging port type....with me so far? Then would it not be convenient to have more than one port so they can both charge at the same time? Your laptop could be plugged into the wall charging and your smartphone could be plugged into your laptop charging as well. Hence the convenience of more than one port. Geeesh....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.