USB cable and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dagored, Jun 29, 2010.

1. dagored macrumors 65816

Simple question - Is the end that fits into the iphone 4 just a bit longer(the metal part) than older USB phone cables?

I have a 3rd party cable that worked with two different iPod Touch's and a friends 3Gs. It does not connect - make contact - with either iphone I have.

2. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Do you have a bumper on? All my old iPod & iPhone USB style (not FireWire) cables work fine without the bumper. With a bumper only the cables that came with my iPhones, even iPhone 3G's cable, work.

3. jwilson25 macrumors regular

jwilson25

Do you have a bumper installe don the phone by chance? I ran into this with my wife's DLO adpater in her car as well as the original iPod classic cable I've been using forever. The plastic is just big enough that it won't seat fully in there and make the connection. I need to "modify" it so that it will.

4. zacharace macrumors member

That should not be happening. I was told by the Apple guy who sold me my iPhone 4 that any standard/old cable would work--the 3G/3GS Dock (which I had asked about), though, might not. Same 30-pin connector...:confused:

5. raremage macrumors 6502a

I've been using a variety of cables I have collected over the years, as well as a first-gen iPhone dock, and all work fine. Sounds like something may be wrong with your phone OR that cable isn't quite to spec.

6. dagored thread starter macrumors 65816

Bingo, it was the bumper. But why does the cable that came with it work with the bumper and a few others do not?

They must be just a little shorter and the bumper stops it.

I looked at the bottom of the bumper and now see the recessed ridge in it.

The dremel will be coming out tomorrow.