USB cable for iPhone 4 melted

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by justjohn025, Nov 8, 2011.

1. justjohn025 macrumors regular

Overnight I was charging my phone, I woke up this morning and the usb cable was melted, but just the end part where you plug it into the iPhone. My phone was a little hot, but not too much. I'm not sure if it's my phone or the usb cable that's the problem. So, I'm not too sure what to do. I made an appointment with Apple, but I can't go till Friday or Saturday. I'm running ios 5 if that makes any difference.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Could be a bad cable, bad port on the computer etc...
    Not sure if it caused any shorts or damage to the dock connector on the iphone though. Has it been running ok or funny since?

3. justjohn025 thread starter macrumors regular

The phone's been running ok. There's no damage to the phone. Just the usb cable, but the phone does get a little hot when it's charging, and I'm out of warranty. :(

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Buy a new cable and if it happens again I would suggest going into the Apple Store and see what they can do. They might even give you a replacement.

5. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

Yikes! Definitely stop using the cable if nothing else. I wonder if it or the connector of the iPhone have a short?