Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrioCloud

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Hi. I am very anal about scratching my iPod and I immediately notice that the new Dock Connector USB Cable does not have the pinching mechanism where you can retract the metal prongs. It has to be nudged along the iTouch in order to be pushed in. I have already noticed a very small dot right along the edge of the port. I have scoured the internet for the old version of the USB to no avail. Most of the ones I have found are falsely advertise and are actually generic. From researching, I have heard that these generics have problems like bad data exchange or charging. Does anybody know where I can purchase the old USBs?

Also. In my haste to charge my iTouch, I ripped the metal prongs from the side out with pliers. As a result the connector metal was pulled out a little from the plastic. It looks a little beat up. However, it works and transfer data just fine, but I am afraid that I may of short circuited or broken the charging mechanism and would harm my iTouch. Does anybody with experience in these hardware know if it will affect my iTouch such as harming the battery etc.

Thank you for your time.

gunzmaiet

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
the cables wont work on the 2/3rd Gen iPod Touches even if you get the old cables unless you find a hack to make it work

BrioCloud

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Mmmh, I don't know if that is true. I frequently use my friend's USB cable for her 8gb iTouch 2g that has the pinching sides and it works extremely well with no problems at all. So I don't know if that is actually true.

gunzmaiet

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
Mmmh, I don't know if that is true. I frequently use my friend's USB cable for her 8gb iTouch 2g that has the pinching sides and it works extremely well with no problems at all. So I don't know if that is actually true.

then its probably a chinese knockoff or something, apple discontinued the locking prongs cable in like 2007

gunzmaiet

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
I use the cable that came with my nano 2nd gen, with the squeeze to release catch, on my 3gs and it works fine.

somehow, the 1gen touch cable doesnt work with the 3rd gen touch but works with iPhone 3G S, so apples prolly being evil to the ipod touch people and nice to the iphone people

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The "prong" connector that came with my 4th-gen "normal" iPod works with my 1st-gen Touch. It even charges with the FireWire power brick.

BrioCloud

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Can we reach for more of a consensus on this topic. >_<

My other questions should also be addressed, I'm really anxious.

gunzmaiet

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
removing prongs should have no effects unless you also screwed up the other things (a picture would help)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.