usb cable that power hdds?

djcyph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I recently bought some cables for my USB 3.0 hard drive (HARD DRIVE LINK). I bought a few USB C to usb A cable thinking they should work fine but they don't. I tried researching and I think it's because the cable may not have "power delivery." I just want to make sure that's case. On the cables that do work (came with hdd), the only other difference I notice is they have the "SS" super speed logo.

When searching for cables, should I be looking for a cable that says power delivery or SS? Or is there any other way to search for this type of cable? I'm trying to avoid adapters.

Thanks in advance!

djcyph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
What cables did you buy?

USB PD is about things like charging a smart phone or laptop over USB-C, not the bus power a hard drive would use.

djcyph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
What cables did you buy?

USB PD is about things like charging a smart phone or laptop over USB-C, not the bus power a hard drive would use.
The amazon 3.1 USA A - USB C one linked above and the same specs cable from Anker and Cable Matters. I'll update to confirm they work when I get them, but from hours of research, it seems like these should work.

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
The amazon 3.1 USA A - USB C one linked above and the same specs cable from Anker and Cable Matters.
This is almost like a catch phrase now on this forum, but, I am confused.

You said you bought cables that don't work, only "3.1" cables work. The one linked is a USB 3.1 cable - what I'm asking is, what did you buy that doesn't work?

djcyph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
This is almost like a catch phrase now on this forum, but, I am confused.

You said you bought cables that don't work, only "3.1" cables work. The one linked is a USB 3.1 cable - what I'm asking is, what did you buy that doesn't work?
My apologies, I thought you meant what did I go with. I bought various, and even from the manufacturer of the HDD. This from them didn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077J43711/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

djcyph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
... does the cable that came with the HDD work?
Yes, the USB C - USB A they provided works great but I need back up cables since I gig with this all the time. The ones I got from Amazon didn't work. Trying this one because Belkin told me that it will work with my HD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PM1VN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hoping. Also, I noticed on the cable that does work, the USB A side is blue. Maybe that's what I have to look for?

I ordered the one below as well since it has the blue USB A, hopefully one will work. Unfortunately, the HDD manufacturer is hard to deal with since they don't speak English well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PM1VN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for your input