USB Cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacVM, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. MacVM macrumors member

    Aug 1, 2005
    So I found out that I need a usb cable for my hp psc 1610. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one that reasonably priced? Do I use a basic USB cable? Sorry, silly noob questions.
  2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    I would just use an el-cheapo one. Any business about "improved data transfer" or speed is just rubbish. Don't pay more than you need to, and if I were you ask friends to see if they have any spares - for some reason I seem to have quite a few.
  3. MacVM thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 1, 2005
    Sweet, thank you. So just any regular USB cable?
  4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000


    Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    I have found a difference with cables rated for USB 1.x and USB 2.x.
    Cables with chokes reduce noise (unwanted interference with signal) through the cable. If your equipment doesn't come with it, I wouldn't spend extra money on an a specialy attenuated cable.
  5. tobefirst macrumors 68040


    Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    eBay is a great place to get super cheap cables. I've ordered a couple USB cables and a Firewire cable from different people on there and have always had a positive experience.
  6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

    Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I dunno. I bought a firewire cable for $.99 off of eBay with $4.00 shipping, and it didn't work when I got it. I wanted to replace it, but the guy wouldn't refund shipping, so it would have cost more to send it back. So I just kept it.

    With cables it's a good idea I think to go to stores and get 'em, because you can replace them free if they don't work. Surprisingly enough I found Target had firewire cables for $14, when Best Buy wanted $30 for 'em.
  7. gco212 macrumors 6502

    Jul 21, 2004
    Walmart has USB 2.0 for $7. Just pick up something in that price range or cheaper, as long as it's 2.0.
  8. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816


    May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    For a printer you might need Type A to Type B cable. Check your printer manual or just look at the back of the printer.

Share This Page