USB Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Telp, May 31, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

A friend of mine is trying to connect his Panasonic Camcorder to iMovie using a USB cord. When he goes to connect in iMovie it can't find the camera, all it finds is the iSight camera. Is there a setting for this or does he have to use a firewire port or what? He has a brand new Macbook. Thanks. :apple:

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Since you didn't tell us the camera model, any suggestions would just be a guess. But if the camera doesn't have a Firewire (DV, iLink) connection, then your friend may need to see if their are any drivers or other software on the manufacturer's web site available for download to use his camera with a Mac.

-DH

3. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Well it does have a firewire port, but he doesnt have a firewire cable, and just to help him save money i told him i would ask around macrumors to see if people could tell me anything to help him. Thanks though, we will look.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

He needs to use the FireWire port. USB is usually only for downloading pictures off a camcorder (at least, in the Mac world, AFAIK). FireWire is for downloading video. Get a FireWire cable and you should be in business.

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

FW cables cost between 5 and 7 bucks. There are all sorts of good mail order options out there. Just be sure to recommend a 4-6 pin cable.

6. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Alright thank you for that information. I figured something like that but i wanted to j ust make sure before i tell him to go out and spend some more money :)