USB camera/video software

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by flyrod, Jun 30, 2016.

1. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

I just got a USB video camera to play with and I was wondering if anyone here can suggest some software to use with it. It shows up in quicktime if I start a video recording, and it shows up in ichat if I do a video preview, so that much is working at least. The resolution seems way lower than what the camera should be capable of, and ichat reverses the video image for some reason. So I thought I'd look for some software that's more directed towards the device to get better resolution and the ability to reverse the image, etc. There's a button on the camera that's supposed to take a high resolution still pic (instead of video) which would also be nice to get working. The camera came with a CD for winblows and android, so I'm pretty happy that the mac works at all. I'm mostly interested in a live feed to the screen, because I want to use it for machining. Thanks!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What brand is it? I'd start there and see if the manufacturer has drivers on their site.

3. flyrod thread starter macrumors 6502

flyrod

It's a no-name amazon special from china so I guess there's some kind of standard. I found macam.0.9.2 which seemed like what I want, except it can't find the camera. I thought that was weird because it does work with quicktime and ichat...

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Did you try the last CVS build from their website - from what I can tell it was made a year after 0.9.2?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@flyrod You can try using the camera in Photo Booth and seeing if it improves at all. The cheap no-name USB cameras are really hit and miss.

6. flyrod thread starter macrumors 6502

flyrod

I found video viewer 1.0 by manfred shubert. It works but I can't get it to flip the image either.