Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is something simple. Having only owned a iMac for 2 days, its all new to me, I am finding my way around.

However, I have attempted to plug in a card reader so that I can read the cards from my digital cameras, but I cant get it to show up. If I connect the camera direct, it shows up and allows me to import the photos.

Luckily, all the cameras I own use the same cards, so its far better to load the card into the reader rather than keep plugging in different cameras.

Anyone any ideas how I get the device to show up,I have tried the 2 I have. Do I need a dedicated Mac device ?

Any help appreciated.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
When you connect it, is there a card in it? It will not show up unless there is a card in the reader.

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Yes the card is in and has photos on it. ?

I also tried my card from my Video Camera and still nothing. I am thinking the reader is too old perhaps. The cards are SDHC 8GB ones. However, I have just tried an old 16MB SD card and it shows up ?

A new later reader perhaps. ?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yes, a new reader will fix it. It doesn't have to be Mac specific, just new enough to support the 8GB SDHC.

I had the same problem with a card reader that is about 5 years old now not reading my 2GB SD cards. New reader fixed it.

With my issue, the cards could be read and written under XP, but the card only showed up as a 1GB ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.