USB card reader not working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by richyscot1, Oct 10, 2010.

1. richyscot1 macrumors member

I have a USB all in one card reader that doesn't seem to work when I connect it to my Macbook. It's an aluminium Macbook running snow leopard.

Ordinarily I would suspect that my £2.99 card reader is faulty and just buy a new one...however I also have an iMac, and it works perfectly with that.

Any ideas on what's wrong with my Macbook??

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are they running the same version of OS X? Have you tried different USB ports? Have you checked the manufacturer's website for updated drivers/software?

3. richyscot1 thread starter macrumors member

The computers are identical in every way concerning the version of OS X they are running. The card reader is a non de-script card reader (no manufacturers markings) therefore I doubt I should need specific drivers for it....and it works perfectly well on my iMac??? It just seems a little odd to me

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Does the usb port work with other devices? this would help you to see if the usb port itself has a problem.

5. richyscot1 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, works flawlessly with anything else

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's strange. I have one of those all-in-one readers and I've used it on a mini, an iMac, and a MBP and they recognize it right away. Does the reader have any status lights on it that go on when you plug in to the other computer or anything? You might try looking at the console log to see if there's anything unusual when you plug it in.

7. richyscot1 thread starter macrumors member

I've just had a look at the console log and get the following message when I try and attach the card reader...

11/10/2010 17:08:49 kernel IOUSBMassStorageClass[0x7110c00]: The device is still unresponsive after 6 consecutive USB Device Resets; it will be terminated.

Does anybody know what on earth that means, and how do I remedy it??

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Possibilities:
    A. Card reader is drawing more power than laptop provides but not enough to trigger the "overdraw" warning message. In this case, you might try connecting the reader to a powered USB hub if you have one.
    B. Something odd about the cable connector is not allowing to connect properly to the laptop. Might try an extension cable to see if it makes a difference.

9. richyscot1 thread starter macrumors member

I spoke to a friend who also has a Macbook, it appears he has never been able to connect a card reader too.

As I was just using it to transfer pictures from a digital camera, I will just connect the camera, which works fine.

Shame really!! :(