USB CDROM and linux boot CD for SSD update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TXBDan, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TXBDan macrumors regular

There's a new Crucial M4 SSD firmware update out, but it requires you to make and boot a linux boot disc to install. However, i have the SSD in my primary bay and the original HD in the optical bay and thus only have an external USB CDROM drive. Mac's won't let you boot to a USB boot disc.

How can i get around this? GAR.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Macs won't let you boot to a USB boot disc? Really? I'm pretty sure they let you do that... but I could definitely be wrong.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep. Just hold the option key when booting and you will see a screen with the boot options, including a USB thumb drive if that is what you are after.

4. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

It will let you boot a disc via USB but only Mac OSX discs :rolleyes:

It won't boot a windows or linux CD over USB. So i technically, i can boot the disc, but as soon as it tries to run, the screen just goes solid black.

5. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

cant you burn watt is on the usb to a disk and boot from disk
    that just a stab in the dark, im not rely sure how any of this works:)

6. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

Booting the disc using the internal CDROM drive is fine. You can boot anything you want with that. I could do that, but i'm trying to avoid taking my whole computer apart just to flash the SSD firmware.

7. Jeemo macrumors newbie

Looking for the same thing

I've been trying like hell to get the same thing accomplished for the better part of the weekend. I've been working on trying to "install" the contents of the firmware ISO to a bootable flash drive, but to no avail so far.

The only two other options I've seen so far that seem viable are (1) create a bootable USB hard drive (not flash drive) and load the firmware ISO to that, or (2) create a bootable partition on your internal HDD, make it bootable and load the firmware ISO there. I don't have a spare external HDD at the moment to try option (1), and I can't figure out how to make a local HDD partition bootable.

I'm going to keep knocking about with this until I get it to work, but I've only been a Mac owner for 2 weeks so I sure hope someone else more skilled can produce a reasonably easy fix.