USB CDROM on Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sledneck36, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sledneck36 macrumors member

I installed a powered USB hub on my APE. I have a hard drive and Printer connected.. They work fine
    I also wanted to connect a USB CDROM drive to it which I did and it won't show up in the APE settings. I guess its not made to have such a device connected because it isn't a mountable drive.. Is there a way to make it work?

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I believe the only kinds of devices it's made to have hooked up to it is either a printer or hard drive, and you've done both so I think that's it.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Not without additional hardware. The USB port on the Extreme does not work with anything other than HDDs and printers. You'll need a network USB server.

4. Sledneck36 thread starter macrumors member

Do you know for sure if a network usb hub would work for CDROM drive acsess across a network?
    The reason I am doing this is because I have a MacBook Air and don't want to have to boot another computer to install something off a cd.

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just plug the drive straight into the Air? Even if you had it networked you'd need to go to the drive and put the CD in, so it's probably as convenient to just plug the drive in directly when you need it.

6. Sledneck36 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

For the same reason I don't have my network harddrive connected to my MBA.
    I have files saved on older disks that I need on a daily basis.. I don't want the drive hanging off the side.. It just makes it easier if I could network acsess it.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

The Belkin Network USB Hub claims to work with OSX, though it's been discontinued by Belkin and you'll have to hunt it down on eBay (or maybe Amazon?). I can't verify that it will work for sure though.

Another possible solution, would you be able to temporarily attach a DVD drive, create images of all of the CDs/DVDs you use regularly, and store them on your network HDD?