USB Cell Phone Card w/ Air Port Extreme???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hutch98R1, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Hutch98R1 macrumors newbie

I currently have a new Sprint USB cell phone card that I use while traveling and love it! It is usually faster than my home DSL.

I am moving. I have a MBP, my wife has a MB, and we have an Air Port Extreme that we are currently using with our home DSL.

Is it possible for me to hook my Sprint USB devise into my APX to run my home network, so I don't have to subscribe to DSL in our new house, when I am already paying $60/m for the card?

I'm assuming the USB port on the APX is not an input. Is there such thing as a USB to ethernet adapter? (female USB & male Ethernet)

To use my card, I have to open the Sprint program and press connect. So, is there an issue with getting the card to connect and stay connected?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No.

Besides you need special routers for that and they are only a handful of them... You can get the PC Card/ExpressCard and get a router that supports that, but that's about as far as you can get. Don't forget although Sprint says they don't cap they do cut you off at least once a day, loose your payment a few times... sorry for the rant; Sprint was bad to me.

3. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

no, but you could plug the card into your laptop and have it share the connection across the network. or go buy a real cheap pc from walmart to set up next to the airport base and have it share its connection and then it would always be on.

4. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Take a look at a company called Cradlepoint (www.cradlepoint.com). They make routers that do what you want to do. I recently purchased a CTR350 to share my Verizon EVDO connection. So far, it has worked perfectly.