USB Charging in Win7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leftheaded, May 1, 2014.

1. leftheaded macrumors member

i have a mid 2011 imac. are there drivers available to enable usb charging? of course it works fine in OSX

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Installing iTunes will do it, but there may be other ways too.

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

USB charging? USB ports are powered, so they'll charge no matter what OS you have installed. Are you having some issue?

4. leftheaded thread starter macrumors member

yeah, it's not charging my ipads. gen 1-3. charges iphone 5s fine

5. FreemanW macrumors 6502

The short of it is . . . . . . You will find the grid charger FAR more efficacious at charging your iPad than expecting a USB port on a computer to handle the load.

There is nothing wrong with your Apple, or your Windows PC. The power grid converter is what ought be used for charging the iPad.

I have found that if I leave my iPad (4th gen) plugged into my iMac (late 2012) over-night + and have no expectation of charging, much less lightning charging (that just aint gonna happen) then it will gain a charge, how much, depends upon how depleted it was and just how long I leave it connected to the iMac and how long the iMac is left running.

Your iPhone 5s places a much smaller demand upon the USB port than that of an iPad.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

Not on a Windows computer it doesnt, don't know about Win on Mac though.

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Windows won't charge an iPad. Not enough juice. It will say not charging when plugged in if the screen is on but if you turn the screen off it will slowly charge.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The OEM might offer a high current driver for their motherboards, Gigabyte calls it 3x power. Also some long USB cables will reduce the current, I had a 10ft lighting cable that just couldn't charge an iPad.

I bought a USB doctor off ebay (reads USB current & voltage) and it's very handy. Plenty of cheap USB cables just don't allow more than 500mA to flow. For 2A like the iPad or some Samsung devices you need beefy cables not the weedy dollar store ones.