USB Charging

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scuba-EMT, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

Is anyone else having issues with charging their new IPad from the computer's USB port. I have the dock plugged directly into a late 2011 I7 27" IMac (no Hub) and the IPad shows not charging, seems strange.

2. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

It will take forever if you plug it in to your laptop.

Use the charger it came with.

/bradllez

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Charged off my MBA as it synced and the MBA was on battery too

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Mine went up 3% in 2 hours while USB charging. The new battery is too big to be charged anywhere else but with the designated wall charger.

5. DS3 macrumors 6502a

My computer has never been able to charge the iPad. Many can, but its common not to be able to. I suppose 2 --> 3 may have raised the power requirements a tad.

The iPad 3, as far as I can tell, charges significantly slower than the 2 (as makes sense, same charger larger battery) so USB charging would be near useless anyway.

6. Scuba-EMT thread starter macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

Thanks, I will try it from my MBA. Maybe I have a bad port on the Mac and didn't know it.

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

This battery is not going to charge much at all off USB.

I actually lost 10% of the battery during the restore process connected to my Mac Pro with USB.

8. Torq macrumors regular

If you see it saying "Not charging" its because the screen is on and the iPad is active.

It'll charge even from a standard USB port as long as it is not in use at the same time (screen off). It'll take forever to do it since that's a quarter of the power from the supplied AC charger, but it'll charge.

9. yamatitan macrumors member

Mine just barely charges on the USB of my 2011 MacBook pro. It gains 1 percent every hour or so while being used.

10. Siouxzie macrumors newbie

Not Charging usb to Sony Vaio

I know I know *huge audience groan* but I have not upgraded to MBA yet. I've had the first generation iPad and now the 3 and neither have charged while plugged to the USB port of my laptop.

One thing I did notice, however, is how hot-to-the-touch the AC adaptor becomes when plugged into the wall outlet. The male part of the cord itself that is plugged into the square thingey becomes VERY hot.

I've not experienced this with my original iPad. Is this a defective product that I need to have replaced or is this the general accepted consensus - being all warm n such, I mean?

11. rgetter macrumors newbie

New iPad Not charging with USB cable extension

One thing I noticed right off is that the new iPad 3 won't charge from my Mac Pro (late 2008) with a heavy-duty, third-party 6' USB extension cable, even if it's plugged in directly to a system USB port. It does seem to work, however, with Apple's own thin 3' extension. Neither the USB ports on my 23" Cinema displays (same era as my Pro) or a USB PCI card I'm using provide enough oomph.

Gefen and some other companies make USB extenders that may help. My issue is that I have a somewhat long cable run to my CPU.