USB controlled Speakers / Better Sound

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jrcsh6, Aug 19, 2010.

1. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I'm thinking about changing speakers on my iMac.
    I'm currently using the HK Soundsticks II. They look great and sound good. But what I'm thinking is something more. I have an extra set of Klipsch 2.1's which might just sound better but they're kinda blah looking.

Then I remembered there are some speakers (Bose Companion 5's) which are connected via USB. If I'm correct you can change the volume by the remote(nob) or the keyboard buttons. That way there is none of the volume up all the way on speakers and then control by the keyboard or vice versa. This has alway bugged me as the occasional blast of sound happens when you forget what was last done on the computer.

So I'm trying to find either great speakers or suggestions with USB controlled stuff to avoid the situation with normal headphone jack speakers.

2. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

I'd take a look at the Logitech Z-5 speakers.

3. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

are they up there with sound quality? it doesn't seem like something powered by usb would be too strong but that interface would be nice.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

LaCie make a pair that are powered by Firewire, which has more voltage than USB hence more power. They're the ones that look like the air vents of a ship's deck (they make an identical-looking USB version too).

No remote, but not heard any pops or bangs through them either. Not sure if that's of interest.