USB Dell printer sharing on an AirPort Extreme (dome) - Windows7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kaffakid, Mar 19, 2010.

1. kaffakid macrumors newbie

I am attempting to connect my Dell AIO Photo 926 printer to my wireless network (WPA2). I use an old Apple AirPort Extreme (hereinafter "AAE") as my router (it's the old "dome shaped" one). I believe that theoretically I could plug the printer into the USB port on the back of the AAE and any computer connected to that network can print to the Dell printer. I have installed the drivers for the Dell AIO Printer and it prints fine when connected to my laptop (Windows 7). However, I am having NO luck doing this when I go to Control Panel and run the "add a printer wizard." Is there anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction to a tutorial or something? Is what I'm trying to do even possible with an AAE and an "older" Dell printer? I would like to avoid having to buy a wireless printer server (e.g. the Dell 3300 print server/adapter). THANK YOU!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Do you have a Mac on the network?

By the way, "AirPort Extreme" only has one A in it.

3. kaffakid thread starter macrumors newbie

re:

Yes I have access to my roomate's MacBook Pro on this network. And the extra "A" was for "Apple". Furthermore, since my first post I have downloaded Bounjour Printer Sharing Wizard on BOTH my WinXP laptop AND my Windows7 laptop and attempted to add the printer that way... On both laptops, Bonjour recognizes that the printer is connected. On the WinXP laptop: I run the Bonjour wizard, attempt to print a test page from MS Word, but then the document just sits in the qeue. On the Win7 laptop: The Bonjour wizard freezes and is "not responding" when I get to the last screen and click "Finish". (fyi the Win7 laptop is a brand new Dell Inspiron14 received 2 days ago).
    THANKS

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

And? Does the printer work on the MacBook Pro?

5. kaffakid thread starter macrumors newbie

re:

UPDATE:
    In attempting to print using my WinXP and Win7 Dell Inspiron notebooks: I was successfully able to "add" the Dell AIO 926 as a printer. But alas, when I attempted to print a test page, the document just sat in the print queue, its status remaining as "sent to printer".

In attempting to print to the Dell AIO Photo 926 printer via the Airport Extreme I tried using my roomate's MacBook Pro:

system prefs > printer setup > add a printer >

the Dell AIO 926 Printer shows up as connected to the AirPort Extreme

I was also able to "add it" as a Printer on the MacBook Pro but subsequently was met with the same issue I had on my 2 Windows Dell notebooks: the test page was "sent to the printer" BUT NEVER ACTUALLY PRINTED!! I used a Generic Postscript driver as Dell doesn't make printer drivers available for OSX (the MacBook Pro is 10.6.2).

Yes, I have made sure the daggone printer's USB cable is plugged into the Airport, and that the printer is turned on. I believe I am VERY close to making this work because I've been able to add this printer on all three OS's, and I'm having the same issue on all three OS's.

6. Lukeksk macrumors member

Hardware: 1 iMac, 2 MacBooks, 1 Airport Extreme
    Printer: Canon Pixma iP4700 (attached to Airport Extreme via USB port)

I have no problems printing to the Canon iP4700 when in MacOS. However, getting it to print under Windows7 was a pain :mad:

I followed all the steps listed above to set up the port and drivers:
    a. Add a Local Printer
    b. Create a new Standard TCP/IP port
    c. Entering my IP address as IP_10.0.1.1
    d. Choosing Standard Network Card
    e. Then choosing "Windows Update" to get the latest Canon drivers

But I still could not print to the newly created printer device!

I finally found my solution by deleting the newly created printer device and running Bonjour install all over again on Windows7. I then ran the Bonjour Printer Wizard to create a new printer device. The Wizard recognized the printer attached to the Airport Extreme and I chose it. When I tried printing, voila! everything worked in Windows7. (I tested it under MacOS to make sure nothing got broken, and great, everything remained working under MacOS). I'm a happy man again :D

7. eyeofthewind macrumors newbie

Same issue with Canon iP4600 and Windows 7

Unfortunately I have the same issue.

Hardware & Software
    Dell Latitude E6500 with Windows 7
    MacBook Pro with OS X
    AirPort Express & AirPort Extreme
    Canon iP4600 attached to AirPort Extreme

The print stays in the cue forever and I need to abort. If I reinstall both the printer & Bonjour, then it works just fine for one or two prints. Thereafter the issue persists. :mad:

On my MacBook Pro I have no issues at all!

Hope that someone can help.

Thanks