USB device causes restart when unplugged

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lasttoleave, May 11, 2013.

1. lasttoleave macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm currently having a huge problem with an external soundcard. The device operates fine when it is connected on start-up but after the HDD goes to sleep and I start up again, the device is no longer recognised in the sound tab in settings, but when I unplug then plug back in the device, it causes the entire system to crash and reboot. Please help!

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What is the device? Does it require drivers? are they the most up-to-date for your OS version?
    Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if its a known issue?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

this sounds like an issue with the driver for the soundcard. I'd go to the mfgr's web site for help as the previous poster suggested.

4. lasttoleave thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the response guys!
    Yes I have the latest drivers installed, and I am currently running osx10.8.3
    The device is a M-Audio fasttrack 8 external sound card. I have not contacted the manufacturer, but I think I will now. The problem occurs on both my iMac and MBP.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Drivers can be a real pain...The mfgr may not have enough osx/mac users and isn't aware of the problem. contact the mfgr and hopefully they will be able to help you.