USB device-related line in Console

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by RichardF, Mar 8, 2014.

1. RichardF, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Help me track down what is causing this line in Console please:

3/8/14 9:47:28.000 PM kernel[0]: The USB device Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Port 5 of Hub at 0x14000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Your laptop woke up because you pressed a key on the keyboard or clicked the trackpad.

Did you not want that to happen, or ???

3. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

It was already awake. I have no external keyboard or mouse.

In fact I left Console opened and I could see the same message appear from time to time as I was using the computer!

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Interesting.

I suspect that the developer decided to be a bit weaselly in their wording of the console message (note the use of the word "may") since there could probably be a few conditions where this wouldn't be the case.

As I've mentioned in other threads, there's a lot of interesting stuff in the console logs, and there's a lot of dreck in there too, including mis-spellings and grammatically ambiguous messages. Much of what's in the console is only meant for the developers that wrote the code that issued the message, and those messages aren't necessarily any indication of anything wrong or amiss.

Unless you're having an issue, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

5. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Thanks. I am just being paranoid... thinking something somewhere on my computer is sucking away data and sending it to some server/ crafty developer... :D

I want to learn more about the Console and Activity Monitor. Everything seems so cryptic though for now.