USB device-related line in Console

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Help me track down what is causing this line in Console please:

3/8/14 9:47:28.000 PM kernel[0]: The USB device Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Port 5 of Hub at 0x14000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
Your laptop woke up because you pressed a key on the keyboard or clicked the trackpad.

Did you not want that to happen, or ???

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
It was already awake. I have no external keyboard or mouse.

In fact I left Console opened and I could see the same message appear from time to time as I was using the computer!

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
Interesting.

I suspect that the developer decided to be a bit weaselly in their wording of the console message (note the use of the word "may") since there could probably be a few conditions where this wouldn't be the case.

As I've mentioned in other threads, there's a lot of interesting stuff in the console logs, and there's a lot of dreck in there too, including mis-spellings and grammatically ambiguous messages. Much of what's in the console is only meant for the developers that wrote the code that issued the message, and those messages aren't necessarily any indication of anything wrong or amiss.

Unless you're having an issue, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Thanks. I am just being paranoid... thinking something somewhere on my computer is sucking away data and sending it to some server/ crafty developer... :D

I want to learn more about the Console and Activity Monitor. Everything seems so cryptic though for now.