Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
I have a 2016 rMB. i like the keyboard and screen.

i would have preferred 1TB, but it is great for my work which takes me to remote places. it is no powerhouse, but i can manage my 40MB raw photos and 4K videos without tearing my hair out, which is all i ask of it.

that said, only have a single USB-C port just doesn't work. i have several adapters with passthrough power which should solve the problem, but they have problems. for starters, the satechi hub gets ridiculously hot and doesn't allow the full 29W to flow.

i also have usb-c vga and hdmi adapters that exhibit the same behaviour.

most annoyingly is how this single port interferes with peripherals. if power is disconnected, the usb peripherals will disconnect, even if they are in the middle of a transfer. this happens a lot.

i also have a usb-ethernet adapter that works well, but you can't leave it connected all the time because when the macbook sleeps, it won't wake with the macbook. you have to pull it out and reconnect it.

when the new macbooks come out, i might upgrade just to have an extra usb-c port.

this may be something to do with the spec and its implementation in these adapters, i don't know. anyway, i don't want a dock, i want a high quality hub that works as expected.

as far as i can tell there is no hub that allows you to connect the superdrive and passthrough power at the same time. i have to use a direct usb-c - usb-a cable and power it from the macbook's battery which can only be done until the battery dies.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Yes, my Hootoo hub will disconnect devices when I plug or unplug the power source. Frustrating, but I usually only use the hub when everyting (including power) is plugged in at my desk with my monitor.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
99% of the time my macbook doesn't recognize external usb hdd when I plug it in apple dock. With or without power. In order to get it to work I have to restart my macbook. And everytime I want to hook up a external usb hdd I have to do the same.

Annoying. And I'm gonna sell my macbook just coz of that problem :(

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
99% of the time my macbook doesn't recognize external usb hdd when I plug it in apple dock. With or without power. In order to get it to work I have to restart my macbook. And everytime I want to hook up a external usb hdd I have to do the same.

Annoying. And I'm gonna sell my macbook just coz of that problem :(

what if you uncheck "put hard drive in sleep" and dont use Apple's dongle, use the Dock from CalDigit or OWC to charge.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
@carestudio
Ordered Caldigit dock and gonna try it out, so can't comment on that until I receive my unit.
As far as "put hard drive in sleep", that doesn't help at all. And there are a lot of users complaining about the same thing :(

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
@carestudio
Ordered Caldigit dock and gonna try it out, so can't comment on that until I receive my unit.
As far as "put hard drive in sleep", that doesn't help at all. And there are a lot of users complaining about the same thing :(

My setup seems to work just fine. But yes, I heard many people are having the same problem. Apple must FIX it! either firmware update or software update!

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
My setup seems to work just fine. But yes, I heard many people are having the same problem. Apple must FIX it! either firmware update or software update!

Just to report back on this. Got caldigit usb-c dock this morning, and everything works like a charm. Actually, it works as it should. This is great when I'm in my office, but otherwise Apple really needs to fix this issue.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Just to report back on this. Got caldigit usb-c dock this morning, and everything works like a charm. Actually, it works as it should. This is great when I'm in my office, but otherwise Apple really needs to fix this issue.
Good to know.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
You could try updating to Sierra as well, my 2015 rMB had issues recognizing USB 3 drives regardless of what adapter I used but after upgrading it works perfectly fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.