Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brad Stewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
After installing a recent software update any USB devices that worked before no longer appear on my desktop, meaning that I am unable to use them. The ports seem to work, my keyboard and mouse are both operational. I have checked the System Profiler and the computer seems to be able to detect any connected devices. I just can't use or open them as they are not shown on the desktop.

My Mac has worked perfectly (as I expected) ever since I bought it, so this kind of malfunction really surprises me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Disconnect everything and do your SMC/PRAM resets. Also make certain that your Finder preferences haven't been set to fail to show connected external/network drives.

Brad Stewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I have done all that and my settings are fine but the problem is still there. Neither my external hard drive or any of my MP3 players or flash disks show on the desktop.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Try creating a new user account, under System Preferences (or, just enable the Guest Account). Try logging in to it and see if the problems still happened when logged into that account.

That will help narrow down whether the problem is system-wide or specific to your user account.

Brad Stewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks, I gave it a try but it's the same thing on all accounts. I was thinking maybe the update failed to install properly, is there any way to reinstall it or reverse the changes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.