USB digi-cam wire....which one do i get??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark2288, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. mark2288 macrumors regular

    Jan 11, 2006
    Hello all. I've got some problems with my USB wire that connects my Canon SD 450 to my MBP. lately, whenever i've connected it to my USB hub, it says it's been drawing too much power and has shut down.

    when i try to connect it by itself the wire does not work at all so i'm figuring the wire is faulty and am buying a replacement but am not sure what type to get.

    Belkin Retractable 5-Pin A-Mini-B USB Cable
    Belkin Retractable 4-Pin Mini-B USB Cable

    when looking at the non-USB side of the wire there are 5 golden strips (the two outer are longer)

  2. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Wow you make this simple problem look difficult lol.

    I just walk into the local store and ask for the usb cable with the little connector.
  3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

    Anonymous Freak

    Dec 12, 2002
    There are two 'mini' USB connectors that I've seen used on digital cameras. The far more common one has a nearly-rectangular, but with the 'bottom' slightly wider than the top, small end. There is also one that looks like a miniature version of the full-size 'B' end, i.e. mostly square. It is significantly less common. I'd say just bring your existing cable in, and ask for a replacement.

    Also, is your USB hub self-powered (it has its own wall wart power supply,) or bus-powered (it gets its power from the computer)?

    If it is bus-powered, then it likely won't work with a digicam. (Nor would an iPod charge over it.) But if it is self-powered, then yes, indeed, it should be working fine.

    Also, have you tried plugging the camera into another computer?

Share This Page