USB Disc mounting issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ourmanontheM62, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ourmanontheM62 macrumors newbie

Bit of a head-scratcher this.

Have an Akasa USB3 enclosure, and migrated my time machine backup onto this from a WD MyBook over the weekend, which worked fine.

Now the data rate is very, very slow - I *think* the disc has mounted as USB 1.1 (using a legacy cable, as my early 2011 MBP doesn't support USB 3).

Anyone any thoughts as to how I can 'force' the disc to mount as USB 2.0? My Google-fu is not living up to expectations.

Thanks,

Andy

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What hard disk have you got in it???

Not a lot of use having a USB 3 connection if you have a slow old hard disk in there!!!

3. ourmanontheM62 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not, it's a SATA III WD Green. However, that's not the issue - the issue is that the USB caddy doesn't appear to have mounted as USB 2 (or at least the data rates are painfully slow).

Didn't see much point in buying a non-USB 3 drive, even though my computer doesn't support this; may replace within the next 12 months...

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well

The WD green is quite a slow drive but shouldn't b3e too bad what sort of speeds do you get on Black magic disk test??

5. ourmanontheM62 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haven't tried Blackmagic, to be honest, and I'm not expecting miracles as it's over USB 2. Shouldn't take 9h to do a TM backup though.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Actually thats not unexpected.....

How much data??

And that estimate will usually come down.

7. ourmanontheM62 thread starter macrumors newbie

An incremental backup - about 3Gb?

Have given up and reformatted; now doing a full TM backup (have never needed to rescue from the past anyway, tbh) - saying 8h for 360Gb which doesn't seem shocking.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yeah that sounds about right

For 3gb that is shocking.

For 360gb that is about right I'm afraid. That WD green gets fairly slow write speeds....

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_caviar_green_2tb_review_wd20ears

they range from 50 - 120MB/s write speeds.

9. ourmanontheM62 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can live with fairly slow write speeds for what is, after all, a drive for incremental backups. 3Gb in 9h... no.

10. ourmanontheM62 thread starter macrumors newbie

The oddness continues.

After reformatting, I can get it to back up each of the computers once (one 2011 MBP running 10.10, one 2008 MB running 10.6.8).

When I then swap the drives between computers again, I ger an error saying OSX cannot repair the disk - anyone any suggestions what's going on? Have I got a bad disk, or is this some sort of software issue (and how can I fix it)? Drive is a WD Green 3Gb as above, in an Akasa X31 USB enclosure.