USB Disk connected to Airport Extreme keeps going to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Craigy, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I've connected a usb drive to my Airport Extreme to use for a movie / music library.

I can connect and access fine - the only problem is that it keeps going to sleep when not accessed for about 2-3 minutes. So if you are listening to a track on itunes etc, when it moves to the next track the disk has to spin back up again...

Anyone got any suggestions to stop it going to sleep? - There's no sleep options in the Airport Utility for the the disk.

2. joudbren macrumors regular

What type of USB drive or what type of external USB case is it? I know some drives and/or cases have a 3 way power switch. Off, Auto and On. The Auto position puts the drive to sleep if no activity is detected on the USB interface after "x" amount of minutes depending on the case. Do you have something like that? If so, putting the switch into the On position should work. Otherwise, I don't have a clue on this one.

James

3. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey James - you know what - Doh! - You got it exactly right. I never noticed that tiny switch on the back. You'd have though I'd have known better after 25 years on macs ;-)

Cheers
    Craig

4. joudbren macrumors regular

LOL! Glad it's working for you!

James

5. Beranga macrumors newbie

I hav exactly the same problem, but my disk is an Iomega Minimax and does not have an Auto/On/Off switch. Can anybody help me?