Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stefangs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
hi all,

i have a bunch of USB disks connected to a Macintel with 10.5.8 via a hub. i only use these disks for backups, no apps or documents are accessed while working normally.

one of the disks refuses to unmount. i always get the message that it's in use and i should quit applications etc. all my permissions are repaired, i've rebooted (it's been going on for a while) disk utility does not complain about the disk and all other disks unmount fine.

what else can cause such behaviour?

thanks,
stefan

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Have you unplugged them with the Mac off and then plug them back in after you reboot? I had a similar issue with an external drive via USB once that would not react until I did just that and after plugging it back in, it went back to normal behavior.

stefangs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
i just tried this now and i was able to unmount. not having accessed the disk or more than a couple of apps, it looks like that did the trick. if so, it must be one of the strangest bugs i've seen! thanks for your help,
stefan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.