USB "docks" for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djrobsd, Nov 8, 2011.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at various docks for my 2011 Macbook pro. My needs are mainly as follows:

1. Need to use 2 LCD monitors on my desk. Right now I've got one of them plugged into the mini displayport to dvi adaptor. Most of the USB docks I'm looking at have video built in so I'm assuming I could have both my external on the mini displayport to dvi adaptor and another one on the USB dock?

2. Ethernet, audio, and USB ports for plugging all my junk in

It seems the main players are Toshiba, Kensington, and this one here I found on Amazon by a company called Pluggable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GU1_6?ie=UTF8&m=A3HIHADV23VGU1&n=&s=&v=glance

Has anyone used the Pluggable one with their Macbook pro? what about the Toshiba and Kensington ones?

Just want to make sure I find the one that works best on a Mac, most of the reviewers of these products use them with PC's.

2. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

Had one like it to use with an older Dell I owned didn't work too well I also found the below from it's feedback...

Problems with ethernet on Mac OS X, April 6, 2010
    By A. Jack (Pompano Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Plugable USB 2.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station with DisplayLink DVI/VGA up to 1920x1080, Audio, Ethernet, and 4 Available High-Speed USB 2.0 Ports (Electronics)
    This product works great with a big exception for the Ethernet in Mac OS X 10.6.3. It seems to work properly and then lose Ethernet connection the next time you log in. I tried installing a 3rd party driver (kext) as well but same issue. I think this is an Apple issue as other docks and USB-->Ethernet hardware suffer the same exact problem. Also, the headphone jack is a bit loud - I turn my volume down to 1 bar in the OS and it's still very loud. Plugging in a powered set of speakers instead of headphones would probably remedy this issue.

Video works flawlessly as it's based on the DisplayLink chipset and drivers. There is one issue if you run your monitor vertically (rotated 90 degrees) in Mac OS 10.6.3 (the screen appears a bit blurry and offset) but DisplayLink is good about releasing driver updates so either stick with 10.6.2 if you run your secondary monitor vertically or wait till a new set of drivers are released. Please note the DisplayLink 1.6 beta drivers do not address this issue either as it's new to OS X 10.6.3.

Overall this is a good product and Mac users have limited options in regard to docks with as many features as this one. If you can get past these two issues (Ethernet and loud headphone jack) I would definitely recommend the unit.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

USB Port replicators (which is what they are) ... suck. The Video and ethernet performance is woeful on a PC. Assuming they even make Mac drivers for them it won't be any better.

Steer clear.

Apple had it right with Firewire and now Thunderbolt. USB is best left to input devices and printers/scanners. USB was never intended to drive a monitor or hang high speed storage/IO off.