USB dongle won't mount

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chazzamatazz, Jun 14, 2011.

1. chazzamatazz macrumors newbie

I have a 16gb usb thumb drive. Halfway through saving a file there was an error and since then it wouldn't mount on my mac.
    :(
    It will on windows pc at work, and when XP is running on the mac in parallels.
    :confused:
    I reformatted it using disk utility (FAT32), and it still wouldn't mount. I formatted it again using NTFS and it mounts ok.
    :rolleyes:
    I do not want the disk in NTFS, so when I reformatted back to FAT32 it wouldn't work again.
    :confused:
    Any thoughts?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are two issues here:
    1. My experience with flash drives is that the require care and feeding. When they work, flash drives are OK. However, they may go bad suddenly and without warning. I use flash drives every day. However, I limit them to service as my Sneakernet medium between home and work and to a limited number of similar tasks.
    2. NTFS has issues, but is agreed to be far superior to FAT32 or any other iteration of the FATxx file system. Virtually every Wintel PC can read and write NTFS volumes. With the free NTFS-3G driver or one of the commercial alternatives is installed, Macs can read, write, and possibly format NTFS volumes. Why does your religion restrict your use of NTFS?

3. chazzamatazz, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

chazzamatazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't mount any FAT32 drives!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, dont mind leaving the USB as NTFS.

But the problem is worse than I thought. :( I tried to connect the compact flash from my camera and that was the same.

I know that both of these drives are ok - 1 works in 2 other PCs, and the card in my camera. :confused:

OSX cannot mount any FAT32 drives (again the card showed in my parallels windows machine).