USB drive connected to ATV. Can I copy to ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mascat, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Mascat macrumors newbie

I have a bunch of movies on an external USB drive attached to the ATV that I want to copy directly to the ATV. Can I do this?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

No unfortunately not. Why don't you just take all those movies and move them to itunes then you can sync them or stream them right to your apple tv :)

3. Mascat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply :cool:

I don't want to stream them because I don't want to keep my computer on all the time. I can sync them but I was actually hoping for a much quicker copy with a drive directly connected to the ATV.

What is the fastest way to copy the movies? Can I connect the ATV to my computer via ethernet and copy over? Syncing wirelessly via iTunes is really slow for me.

4. markintellect macrumors member

Connecting via Ethernet is fine; even though 802.11n is theoretically faster than 10/100 it is in practice a lot slower, due to the interference and the fact that a lot of the advertised bandwidth is used for correcting errors.

5. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

Of course you can do that. Use Fugu or Cyberduck and off you go

6. Mascat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the suggestions and advice all.

I just tried Cyberduck and the copy from attached USB drive took as long as if I transferred the file wirelessly. I really have no idea what I'm doing with ssh and/or Cyberduck but it seems that Cyberduck was actually wirelessly retrieving the file from the USB drive (attached to the ATV) and wirelessly resending (copying) the file to the ATV. I was looking for a direct copy via USB to the ATV. A file that would have taken a minute to copy to my computer from the USB drive took about 20 minutes to copy with Cyberduck to the ATV.

So I'm still clueless :( Can a transfer to the ATV be done from an attached USB drive at USB speed?