USB drive doesn't show in Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nonsens3, Feb 11, 2012.

1. nonsens3 macrumors newbie

I have a 16GB Kingston drive. I made it a bootable Windows 7 USB stick in order to save a non-starting Windows 7. After trying to Recover it and failling, apparently something had happend to the USB stick, as it wasn't bootable anymore.

Furthermore it is not appearing in Disk Utility on Mac OS X (Lion), and it is not appearing in Disk Utility in Ubuntu (I have VMWare Fusion). However it is appearing as USB hardware, when I connect it to Windows 2003 on VMWare Fusion... so the USB is not fully dead.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?nechmdjo3a3fi56

Any idea how can I access the USB stick and format it again to FAT32 or something, so that I can make it Windows 7 bootable again, and hopefully save the other machine?

thanks,
    Anton

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

If you have access to an actual PC, I would try verifying/formatting it from there. Perhaps the flash drive is physically bad, though...

3. nonsens3 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I wrote in my post, and as it can be seen from the screenshot - the USB device is detected as an "unknown device". How do you format this? It is not a detected HDD or similar?

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

You are trying to use it through VMWare Fusion, which adds a layer of emulation and may also not actually let the VM have direct access to the hardware (it may, I don't know). What I am suggesting is to use a physical PC, not a VM.