Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
After I upgraded to Mountain Lion, all the files on my external USB drive cannot be seen (Rocketfish enclosure and Samsung drive). I know that the files are there because when the drive is plugged into my Snow Leopard server everything is accessible. Additionally, "Get Info" shows 186GB used.

Is this a ML bug? Is it on Apple side or the HDD side?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I'd go ahead and run a disk check in disk utility first, it's possibly something's a little wonky. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too shocked if this is a 10.x.0 bug.

Sorry, I meant to say that I ran Disk Utility.

It came back saying 'Drive could not be unmounted.' Additionally, when I go to eject the disk, I get an error message saying that 'Disk could not be ejected. It may be used by another application.' I then have to force eject the disk.

Again, I do not have this issue on my Snow Leopard computer.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Does disk utility recognize its filesystem type, its size, etc?

EDIT: This is sounding like a ML bug tbh, but if all else fails, I'd make another partition using Snow Leopard, see if that works. If not, try to reformat that partition as something else.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Does disk utility recognize its filesystem type, its size, etc?

EDIT: This is sounding like a ML bug tbh, but if all else fails, I'd make another partition using Snow Leopard, see if that works. If not, try to reformat that partition as something else.

Disk Utility recognizes everything correctly.

Must be a bug... grrr...

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
10.8.1 still doesn't fix this issue.

This is VERY frustrating. I use this external drive for all of my photography. Fortunately for me, I have been too busy with other things to deal with the shots still on my cameras.

It just sucks that this is happening. I am surprised more people are not affected in the same way. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.