USB Drive Format- Windows and Mac for large files (4GB+)?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dande1135, Nov 22, 2009.

1. dande1135 macrumors newbie

Ok, I have an 8GB Toshiba TransMemory™ U2M USB Flash Drive and I want it to work with both Windows and Mac. I know this can be accomplished by formatting FAT32, but I need to be able to load 5GB files. This of course eliminates FAT as an option.

I know there is a format that works for this, because I used to do these transfers with this very drive (with the manufacturer's format). Up until I had to temporarily reformat the drive for a little project. Now I need to get this USB drive back to a format that works for me.

Any ideas?
    How are they formatted by the manufacturer?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

ntfs: Windows can read/write and the Mac can read.

3. dande1135 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but I need full Read/Write capability on both sides.
    I should have mentioned that.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

YOu can add ntfs-3g to the Mac side and have write as well.

5. dande1135 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your solution using NTFS software. That is probably the direction I will have to go. I still wonder about what the original factory format was, being readable and writable on both windows and mac, without size limitations, and no special software format readers required.

Even if it is not something I can replicate, I wonder what is the secret to this "universal" format that comes preloaded on some USB drives.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Download MacHacha (Free), create a .zip archive of the data you want to use (folders don't work, also I tried using an .mp3 file which successfully split, but couldn't be reassembled with a regular unrar app, only MacHacha), drag the archive into the MacHacha app icon in the dock, select "WinSplit" option, select the predetermined size options or type in your own. It will split the archive, and you can drag it in pieces using a flash drive to Windows and (it should) reassemble using a regular rar app.