Usb Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kdog679, Jan 6, 2012.

1. kdog679 macrumors member

Ok, so I've been trying for the past day to copy my itunes library to my seagate freeagent portable 500gb HD. Every time I try to copy, it'll go for about an hour or so, then give me a -36 error stating that a file is unreadable. The drive then ejects and becomes corrupt. I have to plug it into windows and reformat it, and have repeated this 3 times. Is this issue because of my mac, or is it my drive? All the itunes files that are supposedly unreadable have worked fine when played through itunes.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

With what format do you format the HDD in Windows?
    FAT32?

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)
    • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
      [*]To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
      [*]To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    • Maximum file size: 8EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
    • You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)
    exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

Why not use Disk Utility and exFAT?

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

3. kdog679 thread starter macrumors member

I've used both fat32 and ntfs today, reformatting both ways with a windows machine and my mac. None of them have worked.

Essentially every time it tells me some random file is unreadable, and then ceases the whole data transfer, then ejects the disk.

4. simsaladimbamba

You need the HDD to be readable and writeable by Windows?
    Have you tried exFAT via Disk Utility, if you have Mac OS X 10.6.6+ and Windows XP SP2+?

5. kdog679 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry my bad, i thought exfat and fat32 were the same. I've tried reformatting the drive to both windows ntfs and exfat. I have paragon ntfs, so I'm writing my itunes library from my mac in order to transfer it to my windows computer. The drive keeps on getting to around 100-120gb/ 150, and then stating a file is unreadable and ejecting it self. Afterwards the drive is unmountable, and can only be reformatted through the pc. Sorry, I'm having a really hard time explaining this.

edit: I'm just wondering if this is some kind of corrupt drive issue that I need to address with seagate, or if there's something wrong with my mac.

6. simsaladimbamba

It could be the Seagate or the controller inside the enclosure.

What Mac OS X version and Windows version do you use?
    Have you looked at the file systems guide and Disk Utility guides I posted and read about exFAT?
    If you have the requirements for exFAT, could you try formatting the HDD with exFAT or FAT32?
    Don't forget to select "Master Boot Record" via the Options button.
    [​IMG]

7. kdog679 thread starter macrumors member

I'm currently on osx 10.7.2, and I'm running windows 7 (not sure about the service pack). I completely forgot about the MBR option, so I'll look into that asap. I cannot access my windows computer at the moment though as I am not at home, so I won't be able to repair the drive right now.

edit: After trying again with disk utility, I'm getting the message " Unable to write to the last block of the device." That's new.

8. simsaladimbamba