USB drive lost

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hip79, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Hip79 macrumors newbie

I have WD My Book Pro attached to my iBook. Yesterday I launched an application (Acquisition) that usually downloads to My Book but it wasn't on. I noticed it after the download was complete but I couldn't find the download anywhere. So I searched it with File Buddy and it was located on the local hard drive in path

/Volumes/<name of the external hard drive>/<name of the usual download folder>

Acquisition created the subfolders and File Buddy made the /Volumes folder visible. When I put the My Book back on after this, iBook no longer found it and hasn't found since. It doesn't show up even in Disk Utility (is it called that? I have a finnish OS X :) Thru firewire the hard drive shows normally but since there's only one fw connection, I need it to work thru USB.

Help needed.

2. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Uhh, did you try the USB on another computer? Or try another USB cable?

3. Hip79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cable must be fine because the light indicates that My Book responses to connection.

I tried to install My Book on my old PC running XP but failed. It finds a new USB device but cannot find the driver for it. I'm not sure whether or not these problems are related.

4. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

This is what I would do.

Go to /Volumes
    and delete (or move) the folder and all the contents in:
    /Volumes/<name of the external hard drive>

Do this while the usb drive is unplugged.

After "/Volumes/<name of the external hard drive>" is gone. Plug the usb drive.
    See if that works.

5. Hip79 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

Sorry it didnt help :(
    Try renaming the disk in another computer (if you have access to one) and see if that works.

7. Hip79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I renamed the drive via firewire but unfortunately it didn't work either.