Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I had a USB 4Tb that I had formatted as journaled (encrypted) and partitioned into two partitions of 2Tb each.

I changed idea and so wanted to have this as one 4Tb journaled (encrypted) to use for Time Machine.

So using disk utility, I deleted one partition, did an erase and format to same type. However it’s been running the erase for 30+ hours now, surely this isn’t right?

How long will it take? Is this normal? Should I force eject it and format on a windows machine first or something?

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Which erase option did you select?
Didn’t tick security options think if that’s what mean? I know you can do a secure erase.

It did have Time Machine backups on it, with encrypted, but surely shouldn’t take this long?

I’m giving it until tonight then surely something is wrong? I was expecting it to take 5 mins?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
If none of the security options were chosen then it should be done within a minute or two!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
If none of the security options were chosen then it should be done within a minute or two!

That’s what I would have expected. I’m going to force quit then and try again I’ll try a different format first.

Reactions: Ifti

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well left another 12 hours and still busy....

I force quit it and shut down iMac. Will have to get back to it. I may try format it in Windows first.

I want it in a Time Machine compatible format, and encrypted eventually.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
do this:
1 stop all activity trying to format or encrypt. just pull it out if you have to.
2 do it all again from the start only this time, with nothing on the drive at all, select it for Time Machine and at that time choose encryption.
this way the process takes seconds, and not hours/days.

i assume you are using a mac for all this...
if you want you can also simply erase it using Disk Utility in a few seconds, then do the above.
it doesn't matter what format you choose, as Time Machine will reformat it anyway.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Tried twice with disk utility on a Mac and same, strangely.

Only other factor is it was 2 partitions of 2Tb each previously.

Not sure why I decided to leave it that long tbh, just thought maybe as encrypted.

I had another post about Time Machine and encryption though, and was quicker to encrypt the drive before the first time Machine backup as after would take ages.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks I’ll try it this way then. Just want to make sure that I’ve got rid of both partitions as want it all as Time Machine drive now, in case something has got mixed up

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Had to force stop, and do a few other tries and eventually worked. Shouldn’t hand left it hoping for that length of times really.

Anyway, 1 partition more and Time Machine has backed up.

Thanks all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.