Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoscoeUA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
My USB drive that I took out my MacBook will no long boot. It's bootable but when it gets to a certain point the computer just shuts off. I booted to the HD in the computer to try to repair the disk and this is what I got.

Verify and Repair volume “External MacBook HD”
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.

Incorrect block count for file temp10437191
(It should be 1 instead of 0)
Invalid sibling link

Volume check failed.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Any ideas? I just want to boot to the disk so I can make a quick backup of my address book. For the record I took to the old disk out put a new HD in my MacBook and installed a fresh copy of Leopard. I was able to boot the old OS via USB and now I can't.

RoscoeUA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
On more thing, to top it all off iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone on the fresh install of Leopard. Any ideas there?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Maybe the drive coincidentally failed after you replaced it. That's a possible issue if the drive fails to repair through Disk Utility.

One thing you can try is plugging the USB drive into your Mac, and browse to the Users/username/Library/Preferences, and, Users/username/Aplication Support/, and drag the address book prefs and the address book application support folder to the same location on the boot drive. (you can drag the existing files from the boot drive to your desktop as a "backup" if your worried or if you have different contacts currently then you have on the USB drive).

Make sure Address Book app isn't running of course, and when you are finished, all that contact information should pop up from the info you copied from the USB drive once it is opened.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
On more thing, to top it all off iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone on the fresh install of Leopard. Any ideas there?

Could be the Leopard install, could be the phone. Try running all the updates and make sure you have the latest version of iTunes downloaded after a fresh install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.