USB Drive will no longer boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RoscoeUA, Jan 1, 2009.

1. RoscoeUA macrumors member

RoscoeUA

My USB drive that I took out my MacBook will no long boot. It's bootable but when it gets to a certain point the computer just shuts off. I booted to the HD in the computer to try to repair the disk and this is what I got.

Any ideas? I just want to boot to the disk so I can make a quick backup of my address book. For the record I took to the old disk out put a new HD in my MacBook and installed a fresh copy of Leopard. I was able to boot the old OS via USB and now I can't.

2. RoscoeUA thread starter macrumors member

RoscoeUA

On more thing, to top it all off iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone on the fresh install of Leopard. Any ideas there?

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Maybe the drive coincidentally failed after you replaced it. That's a possible issue if the drive fails to repair through Disk Utility.

One thing you can try is plugging the USB drive into your Mac, and browse to the Users/username/Library/Preferences, and, Users/username/Aplication Support/, and drag the address book prefs and the address book application support folder to the same location on the boot drive. (you can drag the existing files from the boot drive to your desktop as a "backup" if your worried or if you have different contacts currently then you have on the USB drive).

Make sure Address Book app isn't running of course, and when you are finished, all that contact information should pop up from the info you copied from the USB drive once it is opened.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Could be the Leopard install, could be the phone. Try running all the updates and make sure you have the latest version of iTunes downloaded after a fresh install.