Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I am trying to recover some files from a USB flash drive for a friend. It is a San Disk 2GB, and it has some school assignments that she unfortunately did not have a backup of, so I need a way to recover those files. The drive just does not show up anywhere, it doesn't show up in the finder, disk utility or the terminal. When I plug it in it briefly will have the light showing it is connected come on but that will go off immediately. I took it apart and it does not appear that anything is physically broken on it.
Does anyone know of any software or other way of getting it off? paying a Data recovery service to get it off isn't an option as she would have to redo everything on it before they could do anything.
Thanks for any help.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Unfortunatly since i'm doing it for a friend it is not mine so i don't know what file system, but it is probably whatever those drives normally ship with which will mount on a Mac. and this drive has been tried on windows PCs with the same results.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Probably won't help, but spray the contact pins with some electronic contact cleaning spray. Could be some crud there? Try inserting it only 3/4 way too, that's worked for me before.

And you're plugging it directly into your Mac, right, not into a hub?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.