USB Drives and Projectors and Keynote

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doju, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

1. When it comes to USB drives, I can just plug it into my Mac, put the file on it, and be on my way, right? But what happens when I go to a school computer, that runs Windows, how do I use the file? Is there some alternative?

2. For projectors, how do I hook my MBA up to one? Our school has a projector that any student is free to use, but I'm not sure how to hook my MBA up to it. It's one of those ones that shoots light onto a white sheet to display the thing. Is it VGA?

3. In regards to Keynote, if I have a screen with say, "What do you expect the average growth in one year for this company to be?" and I want it to display the answer within the same slide by say, using an effect to make it appear, do I need to create a new slide and copy the previous into it, or can I make the transition part of that actual slide.

And I can use an Apple Remote to advance to the next slide/transition, right?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

1. Most flash drives are formatted FAT/MBR, which is compeltely readable and writeable on Windows and Mac, but has a file size limitation (2gb single file limit I believe) because it is an old format. The only limitation is for compatibilit is what kind of file it is. As long as it is a file type that the Windows machine has an app for, like (mopst likely) .doc, or .rtf, or wmv; things like that will generally be OK.

2. Projectors are mainly VGA. The MBA uses a special display out port. If it didn't come with an adapter then you should be able to find it at an Apple store or online. (Don't know if the new MBA's use a different connector, so research that).

3. Haven't used Keynote too extensively, but if it's like PP in that regard, you place the info where you want it on the same slide and apply a seperate transition to that specific text box (try a control click on that text box).

The Apple remote will work fine for the slides, and even woprks with PowerPoint (2008 at least) to advance through slides.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Yes, with a USB drive or more commonly known as a thumbdrive, you can put into your Mac transfer the file and you aregood to go. Depends on the file, if it is a Word.doc or .ppt for powerpoint Microsoft Office on the Windows machine will recognize those files and will recognize most files. But I don't know what file typoe you are talking about so I can't say for sure.

You will nee to get the adapter for the MBA. Miniport to VGA qill work fine. But you should go and take a look at the projector to make sure it has a 15-pin VGA connection. Asking someone what connection the projector will take helps.

You can use a transition. Do what you need to do in the slide make all the text and then you can highlight the text you want the transition to happen on and choose the transition.

As far as the remote I have seen ppl use the remote to advance the slides in Keynote. I have not done it myself but I am in a industry where I see a lot of prsenters. Works great.

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Cheers guys, answered perfectly.

For the first question, I was curious if (though, now that I think it seems a rather unintelligent question) if I could put an iWork file onto the thumbdrive and somehow use it on the Windows computer.

5. mwchris macrumors regular

It will work as long as you save it in a windows friendly format (.doc) or (.rtf) would be my first choices not knowing what software is available on the windows machine you will be using. (I do this daily between a windows (work) and mac (home) machines.)

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you save it to the default format, then no. Keynote can save to PowerPoint files, Pages to Word documents, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong please) Numbers can save to Excel.. but my memory is fuzzy on that part.