usb drives make windows 10 give bad pool error

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by madeirabhoy, Jul 31, 2015.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

never been a problem before but since i installed windows 10 i get crashes and restarts unless i remove my 2 external usb 2 drives. one is HFS pius, the other is exFAT

any ideas?

2. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's definitely the hfs+ drive that causes it to crash. Any ideas welcome as it will be a pain in the Arsenal having to unplug it every time I restart into bootcamp

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I have no issues with HFS+.

ExFat volumes shared between OSX and Windows can create instability especially if it was created with the Mac's Disk Utility.

4. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

as far as i can see its definitely the HFS+ drive. starting up with it in means it wont even get to the startup screen now, which is weird as originally it'd start up then crash. starting up without it and then plugging it in produces a crash within a couple of minutes. without the drive plugged in its completely stable.

the HFS+ drive is 6 months old, the exFAT drive at least a year and both were plugged in when using windows 7 for many hours on many days.

ive checked the driver on the exFAT drive, it says its up to date, but of course since i cant mount the HFS+ drive there's no driver to be updated.

if i cant fix it, is there any way in windows to mark the drive as not to start up (in windows only).

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

You have the Bootcamp HFS driver installed?

6. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

maybe not, didnt realise there was such a thing.ill look tonight.

7. macenied, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Try disabling the Apple BootCamp HFS+ driver ( applehfs.sys; you can use the Microsoft utility "Autoruns" for that ) and use the free Paragon Windows 8/8.1 HFS+ driver instead. As an additional plus the Paragon driver comes with HFS+ r/w access.

BTW, the HFS+ problem is not related to USB drives only.

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Free? It's 20 bucks on their site.

Stay away from Macdrive whatever you do.

9. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

The Paragon HFS+ version for Windows 8/8.1 is free now and works with Windows 10 on my MB Pro 7.1 mid 2010 (13). It also solves the VSS errors caused by applehfs.sys.