USB Drives.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lord Lien, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Lord Lien macrumors newbie

Is it possible to make USB drive Read/Only or Read/Write via the terminal?

Its one of them questions that I have been asked & don't seem to be able to find any information on.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. Lord Lien thread starter macrumors newbie

Any USB drive, any format.

My thinking is, if this can be done VIA a terminal command, you ping a internal server & get a reply everything is read only via USB. If you don't get a reply you can read/write.

I have basic scripting knowledge so writing the script to do this will not be a problem, just wondered if it was actually possible.

^^ I know, they joys of working with a client who does not understand technology! ;) lol

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

For one thing OS X can only read NTFS format without third party hacks. This because of a Microsoft limitation and them not allowing anything besides a Microsoft Windows machine.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How would you make a FAT drive read-only in OSX - its not possible, so I don't think you can do that with a thumb drive

6. Lord Lien, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

Lord Lien thread starter macrumors newbie

It is possible (apparently) not going to name the vender who say that they can do this (PM if you want to know. I don't want to advertise) & I will be checking out the software this week.

** edit **
    Looked at a demo of some software & it is possible (& does work, just tested it) to make external USB drives no matter what format they are read only on a MAC. Love to know what witchcraft they are using to do this.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

They might be mucking with how it's being mounted.

Refer to the 'mount' command, which has an option to update(-u), and an option to mount read-only (rdonly):
    https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/mount.8.html

You can get a listing in Terminal of the mounted drives with this command:
    Code:
    mount
    A volume's current mount-options are listed in parens at the end of each line.

There's more to this than just the 'mount' command, and you can screw things up very badly if you don't know what you're doing. Fair warning for the adventurous.

Without knowing the price of the software, it's hard to say if it's worthwhile. If it was a few bucks, or even maybe as much as $20, I'd probably pay for it rather than me trying to puzzle out how it's done, and possible breaking things or destroying data in the process.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have a thumb drive with an external (physical) switch that makes it read-only.

9. Lord Lien thread starter macrumors newbie

The client I'm working for will be happy to pay for the software/hardware its not cheap. As you pointed out doing this is not something I would have been happy doing with a "Micky Mouse home made script" either. To be honest I thought it could not be done due to the way OS X works… we live & learn.