USB dropping out every time Mac wakes from Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chrisbbarnes, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Chrisbbarnes macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro 2.1 has been dropping out all the USB devices ever since an update to 10.6.8. Every time I wake my Mac up from sleep the USB devices seams to not have any power to them. Microphone and isight work but no lights. UPS does not work. I have to restart my machine before I can get them back working. Contacted Apple Care support (although now out of phone time help period). They have never heard of this problem before and want to charge me $60 to try thing that might not fix the problem. I did try the restart with "option, command and P & R buttons pressed whilst boot up, but it did not fix.

Does any on else have any suggestions on how to fix this anoying problem?

2. Chrisbbarnes thread starter macrumors newbie

No USB power to PCI express cards UPDATE

Today I did a clean install of S.L. up 10.6.7 (on a new drive). All was fine with my USB devices and they all worked when I woke my Mac Pro from sleep. So I then started to carry out a software update (with avoiding 10.6.8, thinking this was the cause of my problem). Well, I went down the list and updated one by one until I installed "Remote Desktop Client". Then after putting my Mac to sleep and then waking up again... No Power to USB (ones from PCI express cards).
    I think I have solved part of my problem. So next (not today) I will start again and avoid "R.D.C." update. You never know, I might even get as far as updating to 10.6.8. It may be R.D.C. after all.

I will keep you all posted.