USB DVD Burner for iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skateny, Mar 4, 2013.

1. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Hi.

I've tried a couple of different brand name DVD burners for my iBook, and powered both first via USB and then with an external power supply. Neither worked despite the manufacturer stating that they're PowerPC and Leopard compatible. They showed up in system profiler, but otherwise didn't function.

I'm wondering whether or not I need to disable or otherwise modify the (functioning) optical drive that came with the iBook in order for a USB burner to work?

Thanks.

2. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Hello I have been using external burners A LOT here lately and I have an lg slim portable and I use the usb brick for my iphone to plug one of the usb into and the other in my Ibook if I dont do it this way it WILL NOT work sometimes it will show up but the burn option is not available.

Attached Files:

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I believe my el-cheapo OWC drive works, but I haven't tried it with an iBook. I don't see why there would be any differences between an iMac G4/Power Mac G5 and your iBook.

4. skateny thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

5. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

I too have the same LG external USB Superdrive and it works rather well. And yes, I can boot off of it too on my PowerPC Macs.

6. skateny thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

Thanks. Sounds like it's worth looking into.