USB DVD burner that is compatible with air and a windows machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mds1256, Jun 17, 2012.

1. mds1256 macrumors regular

Hi

Looking for a USB external DVD burner that is compatible with windows and well as mac.

SuperDrive is too much money and needs to be hacked to work with windows so that is out of the question.

What do you guys recommend.

2. Blackened Apple macrumors regular

Also interested in something like this, I'll be reripping my CD collection when the Air arrives. Also, does USB 3 make a difference when it comes to reading/writing disks?

3. Kyles3399, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Kyles3399 macrumors newbie

Interesting solution!!

Hi there is a interesting solution to your problem you can actually use the Xbox 360's external hd-DVD drive to play and rip DVD and cd's and the best part is they can be bought from eBay for about $20. I use mine on my air as well as my iMac when I want to use a 2nd drive

Hope that helps ;)

Oops you can't burn dvd's or cd's only rip and play. If you need that just get a external SuperDrive.

4. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

I find that any generic USB DVD drive works without a problem. The only reason to get the SuperDrive is if you like matchy-matchy.

5. chekk macrumors newbie

I've been happy with the Lite-on 8X DVDR USB external drive ( http://www.amazon.com/Liteon-Top-Load-DVDrw-White/dp/B002QQ3VK2 )

Nice features: it is USB-powered, and has a short USB cable that snaps into the bottom of the drive, so you can chuck it in a bag without thinking about any extra cables. Also lightweight

It works great with Lion and on a Windows7 VM in VMWare Fusion on my mid-2011 MBA13. Also works fine as an external drive on a Thinkpad running XP. Haven't tried it on Windows under Boot Camp, but would expect it to work fine.

6. currahee2100 macrumors member

I just picked up an LG supermulti drive at Walmart for 38. It has no power supply and you just plug it into the air via usb. Works well.