USB Ethernet Adapter - MacBook Air 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mrogersscf, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mrogersscf macrumors member

I purchased MonoPrice's Gig USB Ethernet Adapter and it didn't work. Apparently, the device hasn't been tested for USB 3.0. I'm curious if anyone has purchased any 3rd party USB Ethernet Adapters which work for the 2012 MBA?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I thought usb3 was backward compatible, are you sure you didn't get a broken adapter? In my experience, while the apple adapters are more expensive, they work better and last longer than most 3rd party ones.

3. mrogersscf thread starter macrumors member

After going through the wringer with their tech support, I tried to install the item on my older Windows laptop and it worked fine. The tech support manager thinks it's a driver issue and noted that this item hasn't been tested on USB 3.0. Have any of you used a 3rd party ethernet adapter with a new MBA?

4. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

From what I've read on their site it also isn't tested with 10.7 Lion. We ponied up the extra 10 bucks to get the Apple branded one which has yet to fail me.

That is of course unless you're talking about this one which is only $7 and says it works with 10.7 Lion. I don't see how the USB 3 port on the MBA wouldn't accept a USB 2 device.

5. mrogersscf thread starter macrumors member

I'm just curious if anyone has a 3rd party adapter that is confirmed to work with the new MBA.

Whether the MonoPrice adapter doesn't work because of USB 3.0 or because of OSX is irrelevant to me, really. I'm just regurgitating what MonoPrice told me regarding the "why." I'd like to avoid the Apple up-charge for something as trivial as an ethernet adapter, but if that isn't possible at this point then so be it.

----------

This is the item in question.

6. jgc macrumors regular

If you read the reviews from Stan/Mofongo/JR, you'll see that it's a driver issue (like you mentioned). This appears to be the driver that you need for Lion. That's from the website of who manufactures the device. The USB 2/3 issue should be irrelevant since USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that Apple's new $29 thunderbolt gigabit adapter is a pretty good deal actually, especially since it shouldn't use CPU power, unlike USB.

8. jksu macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

i've tried skimping a few bucks and go with a non-apple USB Ethernet adapters. either they dont work at all or stops working with an os update. just bite the bullet and get the apple one isy recommendation.

thunderbolt adapter if you want even speedier Ethernet