usb ethernet adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SmoothJ, Aug 16, 2011.

1. SmoothJ macrumors member

As it turns out, the apple usb ethernet adapter only does 10/100. Does anyone know one that could do gig-e and work with the MBA?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

USB is only capable of 480megabit, so you wouldn't get full 1gigabit. There are many USB adapters for gigabit ethernet on Amazon though.

3. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I'm not sure if USB 2.0 can handle Gigabit Ethernet so there may not be any adapters. However, I may be wrong.

Just did some research and found a Belkin USB 2 Gigabit Adapter...

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=281799

But it also has this warning...

*NOTE: The stated transmission rate-1000Mbps-is the physical data rate. The actual USB 2.0 throughput will be lower than the physical data rate and is dependent upon the PC's USB capacity and other data traffi c on the USB bus. In addition, throughput results will vary depending on the PC hardware and OS used.

So it sounds like it might not work for full gigabit speed, but it would probably be faster than the Apple one.

4. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

Wow...forgot about the max speed of USB 2.0 :/

I wonder if there will be a thunderbolt version of an Ethernet adapter soon.

5. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Will there be? Likely, as there already is one built into the Thunderbolt Cinema Display. It's anyone's guess when such a product makes it to market however.