USB Ethernet not available after reboot

Moldarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
I have a strange problem with the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter on my Macmini4,1 running Mac OS 10.6.4. After restarting the Mac, the network interface is not available. When I go to “System Preferences: Network” and click Add, the interface is not listed as on of the available interfaces. But it is listed with a self-assigned IP in the list of configured network interfaces.

If I unplug the adapter and plug it right back in again, then the interface works at ones and I get a network connection. But having to do this—and remember that it must be done—every time I start my system is annoying.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Or know of a workaround? I guess tricking the Mac to virtually unplugged and then replug it would also work. I don’t know how this could be done.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have a strange problem with the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter on my Macmini4,1 running Mac OS 10.6.4. ....
Huh? The Apple USB Ethernet Adapter is explicitly intended for MacBook Air users who want or need a wired connection. The MacBook Air does not have an RJ-45 Ethernet port. Your computer has both built-in gigabit Ethernet and built-in Wireless-N (Airport Extreme).

Moldarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Not MBA exclusive

After searching for solutions to this for hours, I have found that the very same issue happens for many MacBook Air owners. It seems to be the Mac’s USB system that is faulty.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
After searching for solutions to this for hours, I have found that the very same issue happens for many MacBook Air owners. It seems to be the Mac’s USB system that is faulty.
In your OP, you said that you are using this MBA part on a Mac mini. Why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.