Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
As long as it's not too long, sure. I've had 3-9 feet extensions on USB cables without issues. Even 25 foot active usb extensions are available.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Not sure if you really mean EXTENSION cable, as opposed to simply a longer SINGLE cable.

Just to be clear, an extension cable is one which has a female connector on one end and a male on the the other end. When using an extension cable you would need to use a standard lightning cable connected to the extension.

If that’s really what you mean, you’re generally better off with one cable of 10 ft, for example, than two combined cables adding up to 10 feet. Partially because you have a chance of added resistance from oxidation on the additional connectors with an extension

Last edited:

Rembixe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not sure if you really mean EXTENSION cable, as opposed to simply a longer SINGLE cable.

Just to be clear, an extension cable is one which has a female connector on one end and a male on the the other end. When using an extension cable you would need to use a standard lightning cable connected to the extension.

If that’s really what you mean, you’re generally better off with one cable of 10 ft, for example, than two combined cables adding up to 10 feet. Partially because you have a chance of added resistance from oxidation on the additional connectors with an extension

Thanks for clarifying.

Basically I have a Brodit cradle that comes with an integrated cable that ends in a USB male connector I want to extend this cable as the USB plug to CarPlay is located to far away from where I want to mount the cradle.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Thanks for clarifying.

Basically I have a Brodit cradle that comes with an integrated cable that ends in a USB male connector I want to extend this cable as the USB plug to CarPlay is located to far away from where I want to mount the cradle.

Right. The extension IS exactly what you need. And it should work fine. My preference for a single cable is a very minor one, which is not relevant when you have no choice, as in your case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.