USB external disks slow file transfers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gomtu, Feb 8, 2013.

1. gomtu macrumors newbie

I'm finding that file transfer speeds to my external USB drives has become very slow. Just now it took 5 minutes to move a 170mb file from my desktop to one of my USB drives, and I think that's really slow! What might be causing the slowdown?

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

How much empty disk space does it have? Is it a USB/USB 3.0/FireWire800/Thunderbolt drive? How old (the drive, not you)? Does it make funny noises?

3. gomtu thread starter macrumors newbie

The 4 WD USB drives are less than a year old and all of them less than half full. No noises at all coming from them, and they are USB 2.0 to the best of my knowledge.

I have begun to wonder if perhaps the problem might be the 7 port USB hub I have them plugged into. Might that be an issue?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have begun to wonder if perhaps the problem might be the 7 port USB hub I have them plugged into. Might that be an issue?"

That's very possible.

Is it possible to connect the "slow drive" in question _directly_ to the Mac?

If so, try doing that. Do the transfer speeds improve?

5. gomtu thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I will try that, as soon as I figure out which is the slow drive, there are four of them on it, but I'll give it a shot two by two. It could be the drive I was moving the file to, or the one I was moving it from.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

This is one of those cases where a slow "process of elimination" is required.

I would start by disconnecting ALL of them.

Then add one, another, etc.

Also, be sure to keep HANDWRITTEN NOTES nearby, so you don't start going in circles….

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

To take fishrman's suggestion a step further, I recommend post it notes. As you are testing the file transfers, put a post it note on each one after you have tested it with the results especially if they are all alike. I find myself too often getting to the end and realizing I couldn't remember which one is which.... Just my .02 worth.