USB External Hard Drive Freezes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stadsport, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Stadsport macrumors regular

So I've got a brand new external hard drive enclosure, and I dropped in my PC's 320GB hard drive. I can verify that the hard drive works fine, since I've been using it for a while. But on OS X (and not windows) the it likes to just completely freeze. The HDD doesn't park or anything, but the activity light remains on and it won't transfer anything to or from the drive. It's REALLY annoying.
    I have a buddy who works at the Apple Store and says OS X is notorious for failing hard with USB hard drives, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. altomic macrumors newbie

yeah,

I have had the same problem.

though mine would recognise for a couple of seconds that there was a 30gig HDD in the external caddy (once a cd burner caddy).

then the caddy would disappear from the desktop.

I've recently tried to put in a 120 gig drive but that has given me no love what so ever.

hmmm.

sorry nothing further has been tried with this.

I was wonderiing if playing around with the jumper pins to make it master or none or slave or whatever would make it happen but so far nothing.

sorry, not much help here.

3. Stadsport thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh, this is driving me crazy. Every time I try to transfer a gig or two, it just hangs eventually. It seems to be random when it does, but it waits until I've spent about 5 minutes on the transfer before doing it :mad:

I really need some help here, if anyone else has any ideas

Ah, someone on craigslist tipped me off that his did the same through a non-powered USB hub. I tried running mine directly to the computer and I transfered a 5 gb file back and forth and it was fine. Whew!